See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oreMenuCmd.htm

"Mel R" wrote in message
Always show full menus was already selected. This is how I normally work
with Office. Even so, there is no menu item for thumbnails, and I don't

know
where else to look to hide or eliminate thumbnails.

"Tom Smith" wrote:

I have a thumbnail item in my View menu (also Word 2003). You might want

check Tools|Customize|Options and make sure that you have the setting

for
always show full menus.
HTH Tom

"Mel R" Mel wrote in message
Somehow the thumbnail pane turned on in Word 2003. I see no Thumbnail

entry
in the View menu, and I don't see a way to close the thumbnail pane.

don't
want it now, don't want it to open on startup, and don't want it until

explicitly summon it. I don't even know how it got there! Thank you.