Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Footnote Number Fonts

If the Footnote Reference style is applied to both (as it is by default),
then modifying the style should change both.

"Telegraphy" wrote in message
Ms. Barnhill and Mr. Tyson,

I wanted to thank you both. From my case study here you both helped me.

have now achieved half of the task. I was able to change the size and

font
of all the footnote numbers in the footnotes themselves, which obviously
appear at the bottom of the pages of this 300+ page document, but the
footnote numbers that appear above in the body throughout the document did
not change, and will not change following the same procedure. Is there a
separate command for changing footnote numbers that appear throughout the
document's body?

Again, thanks.

Telegraphy

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Um.... when I perform the

steps
I indicated (which require selecting a reference mark), the Footnote
Reference style does indeed appear in the "Formatting of Selected Text"

box.
You don't need to use the Show: list at all to make that style appear

when
you select a reference mark. The applied style--whether character or
paragraph--shows up as the "Formatting of selected text" style. It

doesn't
show in the Pick formatting list, but you don't need for it to to access

the
Modify command.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The fallacy here is in:

3. In the Styles and Formatting task pane, near the top under

Formatting
of
Selected Text, Footnote Reference should appear. Right click Footnote
Reference and choose Modify.

In fact, neither Footnote Text nor Footnote Reference will appear,

even if
you select "All styles." But if you select "Custom," which opens the
Format
Settings dialog, you can click on the Styles... button, which opens

the
Style dialog. Select the Footnote Reference style, click Modify...,

and
change the font or font size as desired. Font and font size are the

only
things that can be modified because Footnote Reference is a character
style.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
I don't see what the problem is. If I redefine the font size assigned

Footnote Reference style, all footnote numbers in my document
*simultaneously* change to the new size.

1. Select a footnote reference mark.

2. Choose Format - Styles and Formatting.

3. In the Styles and Formatting task pane, near the top under

Formatting
of
Selected Text, Footnote Reference should appear. Right click Footnote
Reference and choose Modify.

4. In the Modify Style dialog box, near the bottom left, choose

Format -
Font.

5. Set the Size to whatever size you want.

6. Choose OK, and then OK again.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Telegraphy" wrote in message
An earlier discussion of changing at once the font and size of

1500+
footnote
numbers without changing the footnote text following each footnote
number
in
a single Word 2003 document yielded two suggestions related to
"Format"/"Styles and Formatting"/"Footnote Reference" settings.

The advice was based on:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...895621033.aspx .

This procedure does not seem to work, hopefully because I have not
implemented the steps correctly. Can anyone give step by step
instructions
on how to do this? Can all 1500+ footnote numbers alone--separate

from
the
footnote text--be selected at once (highlighted), then changed in
"Styles
and
Formatting"? Can anyone explain why "Numbering" is not activated

in
"New
Styles" when "Characters" is selected to implement "Footnote
Reference,"
which supposedly is the command to change the font and size of

footnote
numbers alone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Telegraphy