Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans

Default Any way to copy two paragraphs from one cell to multiple cells?

I think this is normal copy behaviour. When you copy to the clipboard,
several different formats are put on the clipboard - reflected in the
various Paste Special options.

What is peculiar is the paste - as far as I know, multiple table cells is
the only instance of paste being targeted at multiple containers - in cases
of other multi-selections, paste is not available - Word seems to be trying
(and failing) to do something akin to what Excel does in similar
circumstances. It all works well when the copy source is one or more cells,
the attempted conversion just fails when the source is something else.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Doug,

Seems to me that the weirdness starts in the selection.copy process.

Anytime you include a paragraph mark Chr(13) in the middle of a selection,
the clipboard automatically creates a Chr(10) after that Chr(13) and

appends
a Chr(13) and Chr(10) to the end of the string.

You can observe this with the following:

Sub Demo()
Dim MyData As DataObject
Dim myString$, ASCString$
Dim oCharNum&, i&
Set MyData = New DataObject
MyData.GetFromClipboard
myString = MyData.GetText
For i = 1 To Len(myString)
ASCString = ASCString & Asc(Mid(myString, i, 1)) & "|"
Next i
ASCString = Left(ASCString, Len(ASCString) - 1)
MsgBox ASCString

I typed

Test
Test
Test

In a cell and selected the middle word and ran that code. I expected
81|101|115|116|13. I got 81|101|115|116
Next, I selected the first two words "without" the paragraph mark

following
the second word and ran that code.
I expected 81|101|115|116|13|81|101|115|116 what I got was
81|101|115|116|13|10|81|101|115|116|13|10
For some reason the clipboard changing the text. I assume that this may
have some effect on how the text is then pasted, but I haven't figured out
the relationship.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Sure is bizarre! When I select and copy just the text of a cell
containing two paragraphs (not the whole cell), and then paste into
multiple cells, in each of the alternative cells is get just the
first word of the alternate paragraphs, not even the complete
paragraph.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Bizarre! I would suggest this workaround. Replace the paragraph
break in the
copied cell with, say, @@. Copy and paste, then use Find and Replace
to replace @@ with ^p in that column.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Kelly" wrote in message
I have built a table in Word 2003. The table has seven columns and
many rows. I wish to copy the contents of one cell to almost all
the cells in a column. The contents of the one cell has two
paragraphs. I select the one cell and click the copy button the
toolbar. I then select all the cells where I wish to paste the
contents of the original cell. I click the paste button on the
toolbar. The results are odd. The first paragaph is pasted
the first, third, fifth cell and so on. Every other cell receives
the first paragraph from the original cell starting with the first
cell I selected to receive the pasting. The second paragraph is
pasted to the second, fourth, sixth cell and so on. Every other
cell receives the second paragraph from
the original cell starting with the second cell I select to receive
the pasting. I've tried everything I can think to do.

Is there an easy way to copy two paragraphs from one cell to
multiple cells with each cell receiving the contents of the
original cell and not parsing
the contents of the orignail cell to many cells?

I appreciate any help you can provide.