Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
don don is offline

Default Problem identifying type of backup files in 2002

I have a new computer with Vista. I installed word 2002 on it and it works
fine, except my autosave files turn out to be in a stange file extension,
namely " .AS$ " . This happens even though I have the default word format
*.doc selected. I can capture these files in my backup folder, but I
haven't been able to open them with anything, so far. Formerly I used word
'97 and the autosave files were in an .asd extension, which I could open.
I've tried to find out what these .AS$ files are, but can't find anything
about them. I'm a writer and I want to keep the minute-by-minute backup
working and useful, as it was when I used word '97. (I use 12 ghosts backup
software to capture the word 2002 autosave files.)

Thanks in advance for any help.