Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Default Pasting Table Info from Word to Excel

Well I'm definitely impressed!!

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
ctrl-j is the same as alt-0010 on the number keypad. It's the same as
=char(10)
in an excel formula (or alt-enter if you're just entering data).

ctrl-j is an old DOS(?) trick for entering this alt-0010 (j is the 10th
letter
of the alphabet). It was a pretty common shortcut with really old word
processors.

I blame old age for knowing this trick.

BK wrote:

One more question: I added the ctrl+j in the replace box as Dave
describes
and it worked like a charm. I was looking for some reference guide that
lists the characters to type into the replace box that will produce
different results. In Word, for example, I know how to enter a hard
return
or a manual line break into the replace box. That options does not
appear
to be available in Excel. How did someone know that ctrl+j would
separate
my text into separate lines?

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote in message
You could temporarily replace the paragraph marks in Word, as Dave
Peterson describes he

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...bc07973?hl=en&

BK wrote:
Using Office 2003. I have created a table in Word where the first
column
is address information on 3 lines in one cell (Name, Address, City
State
Zip)

Before going further with this Word table, I decided I really wanted
track the information in Excel. Having trouble pasting the 3 lines of
information from the Word table cell into one cell in Excel. It keeps
pasting into three cells (i.e. A1 gets the name, A2 gets the address,
A3
gets the city state zip). I'd like these three lines of information
paste into one three-line cell in the Excel table.

I've tried changing the Word table so that there is a manual line
break
at the end of each line rather than a hard return. No difference when
paste into Excel.

I've tried doing a paste special in Excel after I copy from Word. No
difference.

There must be something I haven't thought of trying.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

--