Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default How to later identify the label size in mail merge

My personal take on labels is not to use the Label Wizard but create my own
templates for the few sizes I regularly use. One reason for this is that the
contents of the labels vary so much. For example, an A4/Letter label used
for a shipping box is going to need much larger font than a L7160 label (3 x
7) for a C5 envelope. By using your own templates, you not only get to set
up the labels as you want them, but you can save the new styles with the
templates. By giving the templates sensible names (such as L7160 3x7.dotx),
at any time in the future the user can see what template a document used
thus know what the label size was used. It also seems to be easier for mail
merge too. But that's just my way of working.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Trainer" wrote in message
Okay, the Summary tab is a good idea which I will begin to use. But if
that wasn't done, there's no way to know what size label was used in an
existing label merge? .

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I put it in the document Properties, in the Comment field or some other on
the Summary tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"Trainer" wrote in message
Once a label mail merge is performed and saved, how can a person who
later opens it know what size labels to use? I don't see any indicator
to idenitfy the label size. How would anyone know that it was Avery
5163 labels? Short of placing that information in the header, do you
know of any hidden places that reveal the label size?

Thanks