Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Does Word have all the capabilities to produce a 400-page non-fiction book?

Word can do multiple indexes. Word can do both footnotes and endnotes (but
only one set of each, aside from custom-numbered ones).

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 18:39:04 -0500, "BudV" wrote:

I would like to see a general discussion on the suitability of Word for
producing a 400-page non-fiction book, and all the bells and whistles that
that implies, including: Automatic page-number referencing, footnotes,
automatic creation of Table of Contents, indexes, etc.. The author is
familiar with Word, and it's free, so it starts off in the lead;
nevertheless, he is willing to purchase other software that will make his
project easier.

Word isn't free.

But otherwise, the answer to the question depends on the kind of book.

As far as I know, Word can only do one index, and one set of
footnotes/endnotes.

It also doesn't do microjustification, so it's best not to try full
justification.

If the author is prepared to live with those limitations, then Word can do
the
book.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa