Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jonathan West Jonathan West is offline

Default Does Word have all the capabilities to produce a 400-page non-fiction book?

"BudV" wrote in message
I would like to see a general discussion on the suitability of Word for
producing a 400-page non-fiction book, and all the bells and whistles that
that implies, including: Automatic page-number referencing, footnotes,
automatic creation of Table of Contents, indexes, etc.. The author is
familiar with Word, and it's free, so it starts off in the lead;
nevertheless, he is willing to purchase other software that will make his
project easier.

I've used Word to create technical documents 5-10 times that long.

The key is preparation - you need to create a good template to start with.
Take a look at these articles..

Creating a Template – The Basics (Part I)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Creating Custom Toolbars for Templates

Why use Microsoft Word's built-in heading styles?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP