Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
alex gross alex gross is offline

Default A new page problem...

Thanks again, Suzanne. I've somehow managed to figure it out, though I'm
not entirely sure how I did it, so all seems to be reasonably well, I'm back
with what I believe is a manageable learning curve & proceeding fearlessly
toward photo captioning & indexing.

all the best!

alex

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It's not a question of using Style Sheets (there's no such thing in Word)
but of using styles, and by default the footer in Word is in Footer style,
the header in Header style, and the Page Number in Page Number style
(unless you have explicitly applied a different style), so modifying the
styles is still the way to go.

http://word.mvps.org

"alex gross" wrote in message
news
Thanks, Suzanne, if I understand you correctly I think you are assuming
that I have been using a Style Sheet & would therefore only need to make
a minor change in it to get my page numbers straight.

Problem is, I am not using a Style Sheet, & at this point I would really
not want to go back all the way to the beginning and start using one.

I used to love Style Sheets back in the days of Word for DOS & I remember
enjoying myself when I would explain how to use them to others. But
there aren't really that many styles involved in writing this book, & I
seem to have managed to get along so far without them. Style Sheets also
seem to have turned into something harder to use than in Word for DOS,
and in his book Perfect Pages Aaron Shepard refers to them as being "as
much a curse as a blessing."

So if all else fails, I will go back and try to wade through all the
multiple pages of advice about inserting page numbers & probably end up
blundering my way through to a solution, since I had it right once,
before I tried to change the format.

But in the meantime, is there.some simple sequcnce of steps you can
recommend to get my left-right-aligned even-&-odd 12 point Georgia page
numbers working correctly, without using a Style Sheet?

All the very best!

alex

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Instead of changing the PAGE fields manually, modify the Footer
paragraph style or (if you want only the page numbers changed while the
rest of the footer stays 10-point) the Page Number character style.

http://word.mvps.org

"alex gross" wrote in message
m...
Hello again, Suzanne, I've been doing a lot of work, it looked for a
while as though I had all the page numbers working in the footers, so I
went on to entering all my Chapter names in the headers. Then I came
back and decided I want my page numbers to be 12 pt instead of 10 pt
(which I guess may be your default), so I opened the right-page
odd-number footer and reformatted the number "1." That seemed to work
alright, so I then went to the left-page even-number footer and tried
to change "2" the same way.

It didn't work, or rather it did work, but now I have the number 2 on
every left-hand page in the 700 pages of this book. The right-hand
pages seem to be numbered correctly.

I've looked at some of the extensive material on page numbers under
your Help system but so far can't seem to find anything to cover this.

Once again, I suspect there's a simple answer, but I just can't figure
it out.

So once again I'd be most grateful for your help...

Thanks in advance!

alex