Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word could not re-establish a DDE Connection to Microsoft Acce

You could search the forum for Peter's earlier contributions on the topic of
DDE as he has indicated that he will not be available so often in future to
address such matters.

I understand budget limitations but failing grades for kids who use up to
date software, because the teachers prefer an ancient version, is a worrying
indictment of your country's education system

Len wrote:
Graham;

Thanks for the tip, however it still failed. The problem
with Word and the later versions is that if the kids rely on the
later versions of MS Word too much they get failing grades from the
English teachers. The teachers still prefer Word 97. With limited
funds and me trying to keep up to date with the educational resources
we have it is a constant fight. They love the upgrades in MS Access,
but hate them in MS Word.

Thanks Again

Len

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

DDE is at best flaky and not helped by running different versions of
the software. For this reason later versions have abandoned DDE as
the default connection method. Peter may be along later to offer his
knowledge on the subject but you could in the meantime try

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the
General tab and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at
open" item. Then when you attach the data source to the mail merge
main document, you will be given the option of using alternative
methods of connection. See if one of the alternatives works for you.

Len wrote:
I am working with 19 school districts and over 100 schools. Every
computer can have different Microsoft Word and Microsoft Access
installed.

I am getting the mesage:

Word could not re-establish a DDE Connection to Microsoft Access

When we get the funding we upgrade the oldest software and machines.

The system I am on now is SBS (Small Business Server) Word 2000 and
Access 2002.

As soon as I go to open the Access Database I get the error above.
This is happening on about 85% of my systems. What do I need to do
to get all of my Mail-Merges to work so that we can send the proper
letters to the proper paresnt?

I have been messing with this for several weeks and cannot find a
solution.

Thanks in Advance!

Len

I tried the solutions from previous postings and either I am
miss-understanding them or they do not work.