Robert M. Franz

Good morning jkitzy

jkitzy wrote:
Here's what I have going. I am writing procedure manuals and use numbered
Headings as well as master/sub documents.

My Heading 1 is the book level. It is unnumbered.

Heading 2 is the Chapter level. It is numbered, restarting with each
subdocument. Appears only at beginning of subdocuments and is used in the
page numbereing scheme (i.e., 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1, 2-2)

Heading 3 is the Procedure level, which is unnumbered.

Heading 4 is the Step level, numbered and must restart at each Heading 3.

I can't seem to keep the "restart numbering" switch to work, and on some of
my Heading 4 levels, it's grayed out in the dialog box.

This is mucho frustrating. I don't really want to go the expense of getting
Framemaker, but I'm at a loss here. Is this a glitch or is there a legitimate
work around that I can use. Any help is appreciated.

You need to very carefully setup your template. Define the numbering
according to [1]. Make sure the numbering is right before you even
attempt to write productively.

Then, use this template for all subdocuments and the master, too. That
is, if you really must use the masterdocument feature (it seems that you
could either get away with one single file or with individual files and
RD fields). See [2] for pitfalls ...

Good luck!
Robert

[1] Numbering
See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/
Word's numbering explained (by John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm
How to do it in VBA (by Dave Rado)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...tNumbering.htm

[2] Why Master Documents corrupt (by John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP