Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RSteph RSteph is offline

Default (word 97-2003) Can you seed the page number?

That first link had the answers I needed. Thank you very much.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm. Note that in
order to leave a header/footer empty (omit the page number), as opposed to
changing the page number format or restarting numbering, you must actually
unlink the headers/footers in the two sections.

"RSteph" wrote in message
I'm writing a help document in a word document, formatted to the word 97 -
2003 format. I've got the pages automatically numbered in the footer; the
problem is I start my numbering on the first page of text (after my title
page and table of contents) - so 'page 1' is actually the 5th page in the
document. I'd rather not have page numbers on my title page and table of
contents pages, so I was wondering if there was a way to "seed" the
automatic
page number? So that the first page that has a page number on it reads
page 5
- that way my page numbers will match the page numbers Word shows.

Does anyone know of an easy way to do this, or if there is a way to do
this?