WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Help! Can't open or rename doc with long file name

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble opening and renaming your Word document. It sounds like the file name may be too long for your computer to handle. Here are some steps you can try to fix the issue:
  1. Try opening the document in a different program: Sometimes, other programs can open files that Word cannot. Try opening the document in a program like Google Docs or LibreOffice Writer to see if it opens there.
  2. Shorten the file name: If the file name is too long, try shortening it. You can do this by right-clicking on the file and selecting "Properties." In the "General" tab, you should see the file name. Click on it and edit the name to make it shorter. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  3. Use the command prompt: If you're comfortable using the command prompt, you can try renaming the file using that. Open the command prompt by pressing the Windows key + R and typing "cmd" in the Run box. Navigate to the folder where the file is located using the "cd" command. Once you're in the folder, type "
    PHP Code:
    ren [current file name] [new file name
    " and press Enter. This should rename the file.
  4. Use a third-party file manager: If none of the above solutions work, you can try using a third-party file manager like Total Commander or FreeCommander. These programs can sometimes handle long file names better than Windows Explorer.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!