Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Sorting by number

You can apply auto numbering and then convert the numbers to text as
follows:

Press Alt+F11 to open the VBA Editor and Ctrl+G to get to the Immediate
window. In that window, type
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
and press Enter.

Note that the above macro will convert all numbers in the active document.
I'm no good with VBA, but I suspect there must be some way to run this macro
on just selected text. I did try using:
Selection.ConvertNumbersToText
but got an error message. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can provide the
required macro.

http://word.mvps.org

"Mango" wrote in message
If I number a long column of cells by clicking the numbering function, I
am
unable to sort the cells by those automatically inserted numbers.

I'm trying to reverse the order of the cells displayed by my table.

For instance I have a table of daily data. I want to use the numbering
function to identify the cells and then reverse the order in which they
are
displayed by sorting them in descending order (from the highest or last
number to the first) But Word won't sort numbers I assign to the column
of
data.

If, however, I manually number an empty column one cell at a time, Word
will
sort the column (and each row of cells associated with it) by number. But
that process is much too slow.