Phil James

Thanks, Suzanne and Stephan.

Here's my experience:

You can create any custom template with any features you want -- except
Normal.dot! Try to save Normal.dot after modifying and you can't. Also,
you can't delete it or rename it, so you can't replace it. That problem is
what I'm trying to get around.

Any ideas?

Phil

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
I would be pleased to believe it works this way. I just don't see anything
in the hyphenation dialog that suggests that the setting is being saved

with
the document or that there is any way to save it in a template. But it

would
make sense that it is stored in the document, and that if you open the
template and make the change there it would be stored with the template.

In
that case, there is no reason that it should be any different for
Normal.dot. This would be clearer if there were hyphenation settings in
Tools | Options (on the Spelling and Grammar tab, which could become a
Language tab), since there are already settings there that are
language-specific (such as "Hide spelling errors in this document"). If
there were an "Add to template" option similar to the one in Format |

Style
| Modify, that would be useful, too.

Since I don't ever use auto hyphenation, I'm not familiar with this

feature,
and ISTR that in Publisher it is well-nigh impossible to set it even for

an
entire document (seems to be a text-box-specific setting).

so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
FWIW, I
suspect that the hyphenation setting is stored in the Registry
rather than
Normal.dot.

I just tested creating a custom template with the hyphenation option
enabled, and it seems to be working: Whenever I create a new file from
that template, hyphenation is enabled. Perhaps you are saying that you
believe it works differently for normal.dot?

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
For starters, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm.

FWIW, I
suspect that the hyphenation setting is stored in the Registry

rather than
Normal.dot.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in message

Help!

I can customize paragraph format, font, and a few other things.

What I
can't customize is page layout (to give "first page different")

and turn
on
automatic hyphenation.

I tried to do this by modifying "Normal.dot" but Word won't let me

save
the
modified version nor delete the unmodified one.

How do I do this?

Phil