To add to what Stefan has said, if the template in question is Normal.dot,
then you will have to open Normal.dot for editing and make the change there.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
You cannot transfer hyphenation settings via "Add to template", since
it's not a style thing, but a global document property. You can change
the template if you open it via FileOpen, but for existing documents
you need to perform the change manually for each document.

--
Stefan Blom

"Phil James" wrote:

Stefan...

Just tried it again. I open a new document, change the hyphenation,

change
the page layout, change style (a font), check "add to template,"

then get
out of the nested instructions, and yes, the hyphenation (and

everything
else) is present for that document. But if I delete it and get a

new one,
everything stays except the hyphenation option. Unless somebody

comes up
with a better idea, I guess I'll just have to change it for each

document --
though that seems as if it should be unnecessary.

I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition and Office 2000 on an IBM

ThinkPad
A27m. Know of any quirks with any of those items?

Thanks for trying!

Phil

PS: I might just post that particular question and see if anybody

else
responds.

Stefan Blom wrote in message
I just tested, and if I open normal.dot as a file, via FileOpen,

can certainly enable hyphenation for it, save and then get

hyphenation
enabled for each new blank document. I can't explain why it

doesn't
work for you, though. A bug affecting certain releases of Word,
perhaps? In my opinion, the fact that other changes are allowed
supports this theory.

--
Stefan Blom

"Phil James" wrote:

Suzanne...

I was able to change the page layout for Normal.dot by doing

that
first
before changing the style and "saving to template." But the

same
approach
doesn't work for hyphenation.

I know you said you don't have much experience with automatic
hyphenation,
but perhaps you can find something for me better than I can for
myself. If
you go to ToolsLanguageHyphenation there's a dialog box which
allows you
to make choices regarding hyphenation. Even if I select

"Automatic
Hyphenation" before doing other things, the saved Normal.dot

doesn't
show it
like it shows the page layout.

Any further thoughts? Anyone you know who might?

Thanks again...

Phil

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
See

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm.
You
cannot create Normal.dot (or a substitute for it that will

work),
but you
can certainly edit it. If you find that you can't delete or

rename
it,
then
it's possible that it is saved in a network folder for which

you
don't
have
the requisite permissions. This is *not* the way Normal.dot

should
be
used;
see "You cannot share the Normal.dot file among multiple users

in
Word" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Phil James" wrote in message

Thanks, Suzanne and Stephan.

Here's my experience:

You can create any custom template with any features you

want --
except
Normal.dot! Try to save Normal.dot after modifying and you
can't.
Also,
you can't delete it or rename it, so you can't replace it.

That
problem
is
what I'm trying to get around.

Any ideas?

Phil

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
I would be pleased to believe it works this way. I just

don't
see
anything
in the hyphenation dialog that suggests that the setting

is
being
saved
with
the document or that there is any way to save it in a
template. But it
would
make sense that it is stored in the document, and that if

you
open the
template and make the change there it would be stored with

the
template.
In
that case, there is no reason that it should be any

different
for
Normal.dot. This would be clearer if there were

hyphenation
settings
in
Tools | Options (on the Spelling and Grammar tab, which

could
become a
Language tab), since there are already settings there that

are
language-specific (such as "Hide spelling errors in this
document").
If
there were an "Add to template" option similar to the one

in
Format |
Style
| Modify, that would be useful, too.

Since I don't ever use auto hyphenation, I'm not familiar

with
this
feature,
and ISTR that in Publisher it is well-nigh impossible to

set
it even
for
an
entire document (seems to be a text-box-specific setting).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
FWIW, I
suspect that the hyphenation setting is stored in the
Registry
rather than
Normal.dot.

I just tested creating a custom template with the
hyphenation option
enabled, and it seems to be working: Whenever I create a

new
file
from
that template, hyphenation is enabled. Perhaps you are
saying that
you
believe it works differently for normal.dot?

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in

message