Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Default Weird Squares

"Stan" wrote:
Word 2003 & XP. Occasionally when I try to open an old document that I
have opened before, instead of text I get a million lines of square
symbols.

Does anyone know why this happens and can I retrieve the text? Stan

Hi Stan,

I suspect (guess) that this might also happen through a missing font, by
Word substituting a regular font, or maybe the other way round.
Perhaps check in "Tools Options Compatibility Font substitution".
And don't save a document when you see the text as squares (or only under a
new name), since once the document is saved, the font substitution becomes
difficult to fix (because Word uses a special code page for symbol fonts,
and once you save, the codes become permanently changed).

Regards,
Klaus