Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jeff Gilbertson

Default Multiple document index uses docs showing fields

I recently discovered the RD field technique for making one index of
multiple documents, but I need some help. It appears when I try to
insert the index, Word makes the XE fields in the individual documents
visible, therefore throwing off all of the page numbers. Is there a
way I can make Word use the documents with the fields not visible?
I've been playing around with turning pagination on and off, saving in
different files in views, etc. but no luck. This is Word 2003.

Several years ago I wrote a (rather ridiculous) macro that merges
individual file indexes by cutting and pasting the page numbers. But
it would be nice if I could get Word to do it with the above technique
(it would be a lot faster too).

Thanks

Jeff