Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jeff Gilbertson

Default Multiple document index uses docs showing fields

Yep, I am sure. To eliminate the possibility that something else weird
was going on in my files, I used this example as a test:

Create new file ("filetoindex.doc"), and with fields visible fill
entire first page and part of second with {XE "one"}
On second page, add an {XE "two"}

Now, when the index is generated with fields showing you get:
one, 1, 2 two, 2

Generate the index without fields showing (looks like a blank document)
you get:
one, 1 two, 1

Now, create a second file consisting of only a { rd filetoindex.doc }
Insert the index and you get:
one, 1, 2 two, 2

but what is desired is the index that was created without fields
showing:
one, 1 two, 1

and that is what I can't get to happen. It looks like Word always
reads files with fields showing when using rd.

Jeff