Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stein Kristiansen

Default Multiple document index uses docs showing fields

Have someone found a solution to this?

I have exactly the same problem. I'm writing an instructional manual where I
use hidden text for information to the instructor. To print out the student
version of the book I just hide the hidden text and print it out.
The problem is that when I try to generate a TOC for the student verision
using RD fields the page numbering in the generated TOC always includes the
hidden text.
I have even used a macro to go through all the Refeenced Documents and made
sure that ShowAll, ShowHiddenText, ShowFieldCodes are all set to FALSE before
the documents are repaginated and saved before the TOC are updated. It
doesn't help, the page numbering is still wrong.

Another intresting abservation is that if the Referenced Documents are open
when I update the TOC I get "Error! Bookmark not defined." instead of page
numbers?????

If anyone has a solution I would be very greatful.

Regards
Stein

"Jeff Gilbertson" wrote:

Yep, I am sure. To eliminate the possibility that something else weird
was going on in my files, I used this example as a test:

Create new file ("filetoindex.doc"), and with fields visible fill
entire first page and part of second with {XE "one"}
On second page, add an {XE "two"}

Now, when the index is generated with fields showing you get:
one, 1, 2 two, 2

Generate the index without fields showing (looks like a blank document)
you get:
one, 1 two, 1

Now, create a second file consisting of only a { rd filetoindex.doc }
Insert the index and you get:
one, 1, 2 two, 2

but what is desired is the index that was created without fields
showing:
one, 1 two, 1

and that is what I can't get to happen. It looks like Word always
reads files with fields showing when using rd.

Jeff