Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Printing envelopes or mailing labels

Glad you bottomed this - there are really only three ways you can get data
on an envelope
1. The EnvelopeExtra1&2 autotexts
2. The User Address info
and
3. What you enter there.
The User Address can be a pain. I tend to have no information saved there
and I use the method I created at
http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm if I want extra
information on the envelope.

wrote:
Graham,
It's about 2 minutes later and after I re-re-read your last reply,
specifically the line
"Also see what is contained in the user information - mailing address
section at tools options.". Well, I did and there was nothing
obvious until I noticed that there was a vertical scroll bar. This
made no sense, since I had only a three line address. When I scrolled
down, probably 10 to 12 lines, there was, what appeared to be a "
character in the first column of that line. I deleted it, reprint the
envelope and the mysterious line disappeared. I will continue to
double check, but I thought I'd "close the loop". Strange?
Tom

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Hmmmm. I'd be tempted to look out for an autotext entry called
EnvelopeExtra1 or EnvelopeExtra2 which would be added to any
envelope you create. Also see what is contained in the user
information - mailing address section at tools options.

Does the problem occur if you start Word in its safe mode (hold the
CTRL key whilst starting Word)? If not see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm
particularly the references to normal.dot and the registry Data key.

wrote:
No, I mean an ASCII character that looks like a box. I entered what
is being printed on the envelope EXACTLY (except for the box
character). Field codes IS unchecked, as is the POSTNET option.
How do I delete this barcode field from the envelope? It appears
whether I use a mail merge table or a single address from TOOLS,
ENVELOPES, etc.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Do you mean: {BARCODE "{MERGEFIELD ZIP}"62736-0001}"\u} ?
Tools options print uncheck 'field codes'
It seems you have a barcode field on your envelope.

The barcode produced by Word is POSTNET.
The USPS no longer accepts that format for bulk mail discounts --
see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290. You might as well not
use the barcode feature at all.

See http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 SP2. Recently, every time I print an envelope
or try a mail merge (from Access or Word) I am getting a line of
characters that don't make any sense.
It starts above the address, in the middle of the envelope and
reads: (A box
character)BARCODE " (BOX)MERGEFIELD zip (BOX)62736-
0001(BOX)
"\u

Neither the return address or the addressee have that zip code. I
have checked to see if there are any hidden codes, but see none.
I beieve it started after one of the MS automatic updates but
can't prove it since I don't do envelopes too often.
Any HELP?