Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allan Bach Allan Bach is offline

Default Solved

Suzanne's post opened my thoughts to look for some add-in that might be
causing my problem. I had nothing in the startup folder, so I looked at a
registry key for Word add-ins and began to disable each one listed in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\ Addins

It turned out to be a WinZip Email Companion for Word add-in. By disabling
this, Word now creates and saves normal.dot.

Since most users do not use WinZip, this is one of those issues that may be
rare, but now I can make changes to Word and have them saved.

--
Allan

"Allan Bach" wrote:

Suzanne,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the suggestions but no change. This is
very odd. I can create any other tempate name and save it, but Word will not
create a normal.dot.

--
Allan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Adobe Acrobat, that could be the problem. See the last section
of http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

"Allan Bach" wrote in message
I have Word 2003 and Word 2007 on my Desktop and Laptop. Word 2003 will not
create a normal.dot template on my Desktop PC. If I attempt to make a
default
change, I am warned about the effect on all documents base on Normal
Template. However, no changes ever become permanent. When I open Word
again,
I'm back to the original settings. There is never a normal.dot file in the
Users subfolder (I have Vista Ultimate)

(My laptop is fine.) I've done the registry fixes (delete options, data)
and
have uninstalled Word 2003, removed all registry entries and folders for
Office 11, then rebooted and reinstalled.

I don't have a clue as to why Word will not create a normal.dot. I've
tried
a search for ~normal.dot while Word is running, with no success. If I
change
the location for normal.dot, it still does not allow changes. I have no
problem with any other templates.

Word 2007 works fine. I'm stumped and would appreciate any ideas.
--
Allan