FWIW, the only time I had this problem was in a much earlier version of Word
(possibly Word 97) and was corrected by a service pack. ISTR that one of the
things that was related (heaven only knows how) was saving a preview picture
with the document (which is a bad idea, anyway, since it pointlessly
balloons the file size).

"Mike" wrote in message
This works, but the issue is we use a document management system - and
saving documents locally tends to mess things up (not the document, but

the
document numbering). While the problem varies somewhat, it's always in

the
footer, and it's always something that cannot be deleted. Saving as HTML
has (thus far) always worked, and the problem is intermitent, so I'm not
worried that this solution won't work, but I was looking for other things

might try.

Thanks again,

Mike

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The advice you were given (perhaps by
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm?) is good. If the
document is corrupt, you need to do something to get rid of the

corruption.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Mike" wrote in message
I sometimes have documents where the footer cannot be edited - as if

the
text is locked. When I display codes I'll sometimes see part of a

page
code - {PAGE - without the closing bracket. These codes cannot be

deleted -
even if I select the entire footer. Also, it's just the footer that's

the
problem - the header is fine. I've tried removing any section breaks

(if
they exist). The only solution - which I don't like since it means

creating
a new document - is to save the file as a HTML document, reopen, then

resave
it as a Word document.

Any suggestions or ideas for fixing this problematic footers? TIA,

Mike