Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom F Tom F is offline

Default Can template problems slow Word 2007 performance?

I've made some progress, but I'm really stumped.

By starting Word using the winword /a command, the program runs perfectly.

However, every time I rename the existing normal.dot file to normal.old,
when I launch Word, it creates a new normal.dot that's identical to preceding
one.

As to identifying Word's startup path, I haven't a clue what that is or
where it is. When search through the program files for Office, I did find a
folder named "Startup" but it was empty.

As to dealing with the deletion of a registry key, I dunno.

Finally, I tried uninstalling the Word portion of Office, rebooting and
reinstalling, but when I did, everything, template files and all, were as
they were before.

Arrgh!

--
Tom F

"Tom F" wrote:

Terry,

Thanks so much for your reply and your advice. I will reinstall the printer
driver right away.

I don't understand how one printer driver or another could affect
non-printing operations within Word, but "mine not to question why," at least
at this point.

If this doesn't resolve matters, I'll run through your "ProbsOpeningWord"
document.

If even these suggestions don't resolve the problem, is there anything to be
gained from removing and reinstalling Office 2007?

Thanks,

Tom Fuldner
--
Tom F

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Well it is possible that you may have corrupted the normal.dotx, but it
isn't that likely. I would suggest it is probably a problem with the printer
driver. Make sure you have the latest driver from the manufacturer and then
delete and reinstall the printer. If that fails, follow the tips in the FAQ
below which is pretty much applicable to the new versions.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Tom F" wrote in message
news
I'm running Word 2007 on Vista Business. Lots of RAM, HD space, DuoCore
etc.,
but when I switch from one open document to another, or when I launch a
new
document, the three-second wait seems an eternity.

Is it possible in my effort to create a Normal.dot that's more like Word
2003 (default fonts, line spacing, etc.) I've created a delay?

I have two other PCS, both with XP SP2 on which I have installed Office
2007
but not altered Normal.dot. On these machines, switching between docs
occur
in a flash.

I write for a living and would like very much to get my "three-second
intervals" back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Fuldner
Raleigh, NC, USA