Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Default How can I decrypt a Microsoft Word document for which I havethe key?

Hi meitarm

wrote:
A friend has an old Microsoft Word (97+, I am guessing) document for
which she has set an "open document password." That is, the file is
password-protected and encrypted. She has forgotten the password for
the file and now needs to open it, but can't without cracking the
security protection she has already placed on it. I have never before
even attempted anything like this, but figuring it a good opportunity
to learn something I took it upon myself to see if I could help.

My research uncovered a plethora of Windows-based tools (applications)
which promise to recover the password if I buy the full version of the
program, but since this task is largely for my own edification it would

be utterly pointless just to pay for a program.

We all think it's pointless to pay when we don't want to ... ;-)

Nevertheless, I tried
to the demo versions of plenty of these programs. One proved fruitful:
it has managed to recover the encryption key used on the document.

So now I have learned several things about the Word document. Firstly,
the password is more than five characters long. Secondly, that it is
likely a "modern" version of Microsoft Word. Thirdly, and I am assuming

most helpful, I know the precise encryption key.

Knowing these things, especialy the encryption key, how can I now
decrypt the document and read its contents?

Have you tried opening the file in Word?

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS