See €śWD: Word Quits Unexpectedly When Selecting a Document from the Windows
Taskbar€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555169 for one possibility.

"mchazin" wrote in message
I am a professional writer and editor and have used Word for years and

know
many, many of its features. Since my computer was reconfigured here at the
office I have this continuing problem. After I finish working on a file, I
tend to minimize Word and move on to some other task, check e-mail or use
another program. Then when I need to go back to Word again I find that the
software has closed on its own and I need to restart the software. This is
very annoying but I can't figure out what setting might have been changed.
Can anyone help?