Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pbkry2r pbkry2r is offline

Default Dot appears under letter

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried that, both clicking the symbol and using
the keyboard shortcut that you suggest and the dot stayed where it was. I
get all the standard formatting symbols when I toggle them on. I'm using
Times New Roman. I changed the font but the dot remained. I deleted the
symbol it was under, the does-not-equal sign, and the dot scooted to the
space to the left. I inserted a new does-not-equal sign and it went back
under it. I inserted a different symbol, same behavior. I cut-and-pasted it
to a new document with a different template and got the same thing. I
printed the new document, and the dot printed. Very strange.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Does the "dot" turn on/off when you press Ctrl+Shift+8/* (top row)?

If so, it sounds like the paragraph marker is using a non-standard symbol.
What is your default font?

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"pbkry2r" wrote in message
I have a movable dot under a letter in a manuscript I'm editing and I
can't
figure out what it's for or how to delete it. It's under a does-not-equal
sign, and when I delete the sign and replace it with a new one, the dot
moves
to another letter. When I delete the letters and retype them, the dot
returns to its original spot. I'm not talking about the dots that appear
between letters when you click the show/hide formatting key. I'm not
tracking changes or adding comments in this document, but I am using
bookmarks. Could the bookmark be leaving this dot?

Windows XP Pro, Word 2007, all with current service packs.

.