Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Default Transfering Excel data into Word data file

My thanks for your post, Peter.

I find that if one copies a column of Excel data, but only highlights the
first cell of the Word data file into which one is going to copy said data,
Word tries to place all of the data in that first cell. But, if one
highlights all of the cells in the Word column, it appears to work.

Do you have any thoughts as to how to show columns (I have maybe 15-20) in
the Word data file that are on the right, and which do not appear in the
Print Layout view? (They do appear under Normal view.) The scroll bar at
the bottom of the window does not permit one to scroll far enough to the
right in order to bring these rightmost columns into view.

Gordon

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
There may be a simple way, but the way it looks to me is as follows:

It depends partly on what layout you are using.

If your data source in Word is set up as a table, then in theory you could
a. select the cells you need to copy
b. Edit-Copy
c. Select the same number and layout of cells in the Word table
d. Edit-Paste

Unfortunately, this does not always work because Word only wants to paste
cells that had data in them. You may copy a 2 x 2 block, but if one of the
cells is empty, Word tries to paste a row with one cell and a second row
with 2 cells. It doesn't work.

If you are using a tab-delimited format you may be able to do something
similar but in step c) you will have to select the stuff you want to

replace
then use Paste-Special and select a suitable text format to paste

Peter Jamieson

On 01/10/2008 20:49, in article ,
"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

Since I have been unable to solve the DDE problem (refer to Sept. 30

post
below), concerning the use of Excel name and address data files being

used
by Word merge files, I have created a name and address file (Header and
Data) in Word instead. For some reason, this works, whereas attempts to

use
an Excel data file does not.

However, two things arise. The Header file that I use is long enough

that I
cannot view all of the fields on the monitor, and there is no ability to
scroll across the page.

Secondly, I do keep numeric information in some of the fields in the

Data
file, which is why I originally used an Excel-based data file.

Formerly, to
update any data in the Excel data file, I would simply copy the incoming
data from selected columns in incoming Excel spreadsheets, and copy the

data
into the appropriate fields in the name and address spreadsheet. Is

there a
way that I can take incoming data from Excel spreadsheets and copy it

into
the Word name and address file (i.e, the new data file)? Or, will I

have to
type it in manually, a laborious process?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas