Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EW_Zuki EW_Zuki is offline

Default Word 2007 hangs when saving

"EW_Zuki" wrote:

Seems normal.dotm was corrupt.

I wrote that 38 days ago. It turned out that what I thought was a fix,
wasn't, and I gave up on Word until yesterday.

I've come up with a way to use Word 2007 to create Word 2007 docs, without
any hanging (so far, at least).

1. I called Word, which opened with a new, blank doc. I don't know why, but
the font is set to MS Mincho(body Asia) -- actually, I'm guessing at what is
in the parenthesis -- and font size of 10.5.
2. I typed an "A", then changed the font to Verdana 12.
3. I clicked on the Office button and Save as Word Document, assigning
filename "Verdana12.docx" .
4. I put a shortcut for Verdana12.docx, on my Win XP desktop.
5. When I want to create a doc, say with filename My Notes.docx, I call Word
using this shortcut.
6. When Verdana12.docx opens in Word, I immediately Save it as, for example,
My Notes.docx, and proceed from there.
7. So far, this method seems to have solved the hanging problem.

Question: I don't yet understand Templates, but does my "solution"
essentially use one, Verdana12.docx? I'm guessing there's a better way, one
using a real template..

BTW I'm set up to use Japanese when I need to -- in Gmail or Word. I suppose
that's why Word tries to start me out using MS Mincho, which is what I would
use if I were to write in Japanese.