Stargazeruk

No she didn't. I will educate her on this. I wonder how long it will take
her to re-write it? :-)

Some lessons are hard to learn.

Cheers

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Her mistake was probably in trying to open it directly from a floppy,
which
undoubtedly corrupted it. I hope she has it saved on her husband's HD!

so
all may benefit.

"Stargazeruk" wrote in message
My friend was typing a 2500 word essay using office 97. She then decided

continue with it on her husbands laptop, which is a lot faster. He uses
Office XP When she had finished, she saved it back on to disc and then
transferred the floppy to her somputer. When she tried to open it, Word

said
to read it she needed the Office 2000 Proffessional disc (i got confused
here as i wondered why it hadn't asked for the XP disc). Anyway, i

installed
Office XP on her system and opened the file (from a copy on the hard

drive -
earlier comments in this NG)

All that appeared was a page of small squares. I believe the file has

become
corrupted somewhere but can the text be recovered??

It won't open in notepad, wordpad, works or any of the other programmes.

Sorry if it all sounds confusing.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Martin