Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lily@Insight

Default AN SQL query as a data source for a word MAIL MERGE

Hi Cindy
The *other* application is SQL Server with an access front end.
And it is Word 2003.
And I am talking about the "Recipients" list ....
So it sounds like I'm stuck with it?
Lily

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TGlseUBJbnNpZ2h0?=,

Hope someone can help me out here ... this is something that causes me all
sorts of frustration and a very silly thing.
If I create a query in SQL, and in the DESIGN VIEW the fields selected are
ordered in a particular way
eg. ID FirstName LastName Company
THEN when I hit the VIEW DATA button the data itself - appears in a totally
different column order
eg LastNAME Company FirstNAME ID
And then - when I link the datasource to a word mail merge document the
field order once more - appears in a totally random manner
eg COMPANY ID LASTNAME FIRSTNAME

I can't help you at all with what you're seeing in the "Design view" (of what
application, by the way?). I *might* be able to help you with the order of the
fields in Word, but I need to know which version of Word?

And if this is Word 2002 or 2003 and you're referring to the "Recipients"
dialog box, then there's no way at all you can change this. If we're
discussing the Insert Field list, then the "might" above applies.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org