Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default If field in forms

To add to what Graham has said, if your dropdown offers only two choices
(the two you cited), you need only one IF field, as you can compare to
either of the possibilities, and the TrueText and FalseText of that one
field will take care of both eventualities.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
You shouldn't need the second drop down box at all. What you appear to

need
is a conditional field (or fields) that give a result based on the content
of the first field. Thus :

{IF {Dropdown1} = "John Smith" "ARIBA"}{IF {Dropdown1} = "Jane Brown"
"ARICS" } etc

Check the 'calculate on exit' check box of Dropdown1 and when you select

and
tab out of the field the appropriate result will be written to the
conditional field.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/SelectFile.htm

ab wrote:
I have created a form to be filled in using Word 2003. I have two
drop-down boxes which I need to link somehow.

What I want to do is:

If the name in the first drop-down box is "John Smith"

The qualification in the next drop-down box is "ARIBA"

If the name in the first drop-down box is "Jane Brown",

The qualification in the next drop-down box is "ARICS"

Help would be appreciated please.

TIA