Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default How do I sort in Office Word 2007?

For each name that has more than two parts (names, initials, honorifics,
etc.), select the space between parts that should stay together, and replace
it with a nonbreaking space (Ctrl+Shift+spacebar). For example:

JohnnonbreakingspaceQ.spacePublic

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

dcarv30 wrote:
Great instuctions. One further question. In my list of names
(first, then last), I can sort by the last name, however, some names
contain a middle initial. Using the sort feature to sort on Word 3,
then Word 2, won't work since the names without a middle initial will
get sorted first (lacking a Word 3). Then the names with a middle
initial come after.

How do I sort to include all the names in the list and not catch the
names with a middle initial causing them to be out of place
alphabetically?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

1. On the Home tab, locate the Paragraph group, then the Sort
button. Click on this to open the Sort Text dialog.

2. Click on Options and choose Other for "Separate fields at," then
type a space in the box. Click OK.

3. You should now see Word 1 and Word 2 in the "Sort by" box. Choose
Word 2.

If any of the names have middle initials or two parts ("Mary Jane"),
replace the spaces with nonbreaking spaces (Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar)
before sorting.

http://word.mvps.org

"autumn157" wrote in message
How do I sort my list alphabetically when they are typed by first
name then
last name. I need to alphabetize by last name. Thanks
Autumn157

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:00:01 -0700, Lamar Hunt
wrote:

Help tells me to click on Sort in the Paragraph group. There is
no Sort there. How do I alphatize a list in 2007?

It should be in the top row of the Paragraph group on the Home
ribbon. It shows
the letters A and Z and a downward arrow, and it's just to the
left of the ¶
button.

--
Regards,