Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Left, Center, and Right aligned text in same header

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
In Word 2003, I've frequently been
surprised to see that Word will actually release xxx.doc for editing
after I've saved it as yyy.doc (despite the fact that ~$xxx.doc is
still open).

Actually if you save xxx.doc as yyy.doc the lock file for xxx.doc is
released in Word 2003 (but not in 2007). The lock file is not released when
you save xxx.doc as yyy.docx, and that is true for both Word versions. Is
this a fatal flaw? Of course not - at best it is a minor irritation, and
despite using Word 2007 for over a year, I would not have even been aware of
it had not the OP raised such a fuss about it.