Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How to center text in book pages when using left aligned body

If you're just concerned about whether print-on-demand can handle "Mirror
margins" or a gutter, I think you should at least inquire, but I should
think surely it could (especially if it can handle things like headers and
footers, esp. "Different odd and even").

"Silfver" wrote in message
Thanks all,

I am not the author/poet, I just help him with Word things.The reason why
we
wanted to place texts/verses in the horisontal middle of book pages, but
still with left aligned verses, I think came from uncertainty how a
print-on-demand-platform could handle asymmetrical left and right pages.
If
we placed the texts/verses in the middle, left and right pages could have
equal layout...

By Your answers I now know there is no more or less automatic method or
workaround to center the texts the way I asked for.

The idea to use table as a layout tool is good. But in this case I
hesitate
a little. There is 110 texts/poems... There will be a lot of table cells
manage manually in the book... But the trick is good, I sometimes use it
place a little table of 5-6 columns in the footer in for instance an
invoice
template. With places for: addresses; phone nr; e-mail address; company
info;
and others... Mostly with no table border lines. Just as a layout tool.

When I had sent the question yesterday I biked downtown and visited the
library. There I saw it is OK to layout poetry books with left aligned
texts
at the left page margin in both left and rigth pages. I don't know if
there
are different standards in Swedish and other countries way of layout
poetry
books. But I know that the poet who wrote all 110 poems like a litte more
classical style...

Maybe I can convince him to use a layout that is easy to handle. Easier
for
me to manage in Word with not to much manually and individual adjusting
and
settings...(110 poems...!)

There is nevertheless a lot of things to alter: To put styles instead of
all
local formatting in the texts for instance...

When I came back from the short bike ride there were already 6 good and
engaged answers to my question. Cool...

Thank You all...

/Silfver

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

What you can do is indent the same amount, say, 1 inch, from the left and
right margins. But if each poem must be centered exactly, this may take
little case by case guess work. In that case, you can put each poem into
an
appropriately sized table (without gridlines), and center the table.

PamC

Silfver wrote:
I want to place text centered in book pages, but still want to have the
bodytext left aligned in the middle of the pages.

Not centered row by row. Rather centered vers by vers; text by text;
poem by
poem...

It is for layout of poem texts with varying row-lengths of the verses

/Silfver