Larry

Cool, I had never realized that the Insert Hyperlink dialog box could be
used to apply a hyperlink directly to selected text and that this would
turn the selected text into the hyperlink display text. The way this is
done is, once the url is in the Clipboard, I select the text to be
linked, open the Hyperlink Insert box, paste the url into the "Link to
File or URL" window, and execute.

The reason I asked this was, not knowing the technique you just pointed
out, I had developed some macros of my own for this purpose, but I was
wondering what the "built-in" way of doing this was. My macro reduces
this procedure from the three steps needed with the dialog box to one
step. I select the text to be linked (or place the cursor in the word
to be linked if it's just one word), and run the macro.

Also, in Word 97, there is no "Text to Display" feature in the Insert
Hyperlink dialog box.

Thanks,

Larry

TF wrote:
Larry

Actually it is VERY simple. Insert the hyperlink as normal using
Insert, Hyperlink. Note at the top of the Insert Hyperlink dialog,
there is a box that says, Text to Display. Just overwrite the
hyperlink with your text. There also an option the right of the Text
to Display window to customise the Popup Tooltip display as well.

"Larry" wrote in message
Or let's say you've just copied the shortcut to a webpage, or you've
copied a url from the address bar of a webpage, and you switch back
to a Word document and you want to make a couple of words of text
in that document into a hyperlink using that url. What is the
quickest way (fewest number of steps) of doing that?

Larry wrote:
What is the preferred way of assigning a hyperlink to a word or
text?

Say you've got a link pasted into a document, something like
http://www.webpage.com , and you also have, on the same page of
the document, the text "this web page" which you want to turn
into that link, so that the words "this web page" will stiill
appear, but they will be a hyperlink instead of regular text. I
do this in various ways, but I'm wondering how other people do it.

Thanks.
Larry