Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default Links do not update automatically.

Hi Jim,

VMWare works great!

Doesn't it just, though :-) I can't imagine how I ever managed without it, and
think fondly of the person who recommended it to me every time I use it.

Your comment "that once a document has stopped updating the links
automatically, it will not do so again" was the key.

If I create a new Word doc and link its fields to my Excel spreadsheet,
changes in Excel automatically update to my Word doc. But if I use my old
Word doc the updates don't happen.

We'll never know what caused my old docs to stop updating, but if I recreate
them and all this works properly, then it will be worth the effort.

Glad you've found a satisfactory way around the problem. Thanks for reporting
back!

Cindy Meister