Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default linked objects

Hi ?B?bHBhdHQ=?=,

I have a series of documents that contain lists of contact names and
information that I use as links in numerous document templates. This works
throughout my office except on my computer (Windows XP, Word2003; all the
computers in the office are on the same system). When I update the linked
object it becomes a .pic file rather than the .doc file that it is coming
from. When I insert the link in a document and another user on another
computer updates the link it converts it back to the .doc. (note this is a
problem because the picture that gets inserted is a full page rather than the
small text box that is intended.) Any ideas why this is happening and only
to me? Is there a setting that I should change? ugh! this has been a bugaboo
for me for almost a year, and I've just about had it!

Links in Word are managed by fields. If you press Alt+F9 you can toggle the
field codes. What is the exact text between the { field brackets }? (This will
tell us what kind of field we're dealing with and what options are in effect.)

You say "When I update the linked object it becomes a .pic file rather than the
.doc file that it is coming from.

How do you know it's a ".pic file"? Where are you seeing ".pic"?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)