Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Word should have colored tabs for opened documents

How about Alt+W & type the number assigned to the name of the doc at the
bottom of the Window menu? Or use the Windows Task Bar buttons that
represent the open files?

I truly don't see any advantage to cluttering up the [already restricted]
viewing area with a bunch of tabs that won't all fit in the first place -
and if they don't it would be even more trouble to get to them regardless of
what color they happened to be:-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/8/08 12:07 AM, in article
, "thefred"
wrote:

yes, I understand. I know tabs in Excel are within "A" workbook. I also note
that my verbiage was incorrect.

I did truly mean, that Word should allow separate unrelated opened docs
shown/aligned in COLOR tabs *similar* to Excel's tabs in a workbook.

It's an absolute friggin' IQ test, at mid night or later, after a whole day
of labor, to try and keep track of your control-tab & copy/paste between 10+
docs with that or more apps opened and running in the background!

Nightmare.

As in IE7, doc-tabs should be able to be turned off and on so some users can
continue to clunk along loading Word zillions of times while others can
operate in a stream-lined, efficient, and simplified "one-incident" manner.

Thank you.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

I don't normally let myself get involved in threads like this, and really
don't care whether or not Word has a 'tab feature' (unless I'm forced to use
such a thing against my will) but ...

... the equivalent of worksheet tabs in Excel is *not* document tabs in
Word. The Excel equivalent of a Document is a Work*Book* and Excel does not
have workbook tabs. It is just as awkward - or just as easy, depending on
your point of view - to work with multiple workbooks in Excel as it is to
work with multiple documents in Word. In fact, if anything, I would say it
is probably easier to navigate a document in Word than it is to navigate a
workbook in Excel.

Exactly right. This is the nth-millionth time I have seen this request in
the last 5 years, and every single time people fail to realize that the tabs
in Excel represent different Worksheets within a single workbook, and not
different Workbooks within the Excel application. I guess the only way that
Word could work like Excel is if Word had tabs to represent pages within the
document.... But that makes no sense! Hence, no tab!

You can't compare apples and oranges...