Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Default hyphenation - possible glitch? ... just passing this on

I just posted here re a 'Viewer' for Word - using the mouse cursor and was
given great advice. This new issue may or may not be related to that
advice.

In Organize (Windows Explorer, Vista Home Premium) \ Layout \ Preview Pane
(which is now checked), I can see the 'preview' contents of various Word
documents which was my goal in that previous post.

Now when I single click on a Word (Word 97 - 2003 *.doc) to see the contents
in Preview Pane, I see the following prompt - "Word hyphenation feature is
not available. Run the Microsoft Office Setup program, install this feature
and then try again." Huh?

OK. I grab the disk, look for Hyphenation (not easy) and discover it 'is
installed on first use' ... or something like that. (I've been using Vista
and Office 2007 since Feb 2007 and this Hyphenation prompt never appeared
before. Could this be related to the Preview Pane being clicked?)

The only way I could eliminate that prompt (since according to the Office
2007 Set Up disk the hyphenation feature is installed on first use), was to
simply create a Word 97 - 2003 *.doc and click on Hyphenation to actually
use that feature. (That feature appears to have been already used on *.docx
documents.) Now when I single click on a Word 97- 2003 *.doc document to
view its contents in the Preview Pane, that prompt does not appear.

If this is a minor glitch, consider this a suggestion; if everything is
working according to plan, ignore. I was only slightly annoyed that I had
to find that Set Up disk, search for Hyphenation, and learn it was already
installed when first used. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH