Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Default Global Find/Replace to get titles into TOC..!!

Hi Derek

MegaC wrote:
My titles look like the following (snipet):

Test ID (723) - Success Path - CLI Configure Acct-Interim-Interval
Timer
Test ID (724) - Session Release - 3GPP PCC - PCC end of call
Test ID (725) - Success Path - Session Cancelled - 3GPP PCC to 3GPP PCC

call session is cancelled by originator prior to successful set-up

All the titles are in white font on a blue background, so I can CTRL+H
and search on Format - Font - Font color = White, but what do I
replace them with so that they will all be updated codes that will be
picked up by my table of contents.

I tried doing this (with no luck) in the replace section:
CNTL+H
FORMAT - Paragraph
Alignment = Left, Outline Level = 3

It seems to do something, as it says that 100 entries have been
modified, but yet when I go to my TOC and hit F9 to update the entire
TOX, nothing is updated!!

Am I on the right track? What am I doing wrong?

You need to make sure that your TOC actually compiles itself from
outline levels (and not, say, from certain styles). In your position, I
would certainly replace the found paragraphs with a certain style (say,
"Heading 3") and change the style according to your needs, but that's
not a precondition to solve your immediate problem. [It might be a
precondition for handling large documents better, though, using styles,
I mean ... :-)]

So, in short: try selecting the first character of your TOC (this will
select the whole TOC). Hit SHIFT-F9 (this should display the TOC field
code). Look up the field codes in Word's offline-Helf on the TOC field.
Post the field code again in here if necessary.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS