Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Default Word docs won't open

Warning: This is a guess.

The problem may be with the DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange). You might try
deleting the following registry key.

€śHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open\d deexec€ť

See: How to reset user options and registry settings in Word
at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005/en-us

Note: Using the Registry Editor is a very serious step.

"Leslie" wrote:

I tried opening a word doc under my documents rather than from my desktop. I
also tried opening a word doc that is in a folder on my desktop. Samr
results. Is that what you meant for me to try? I also tried saving one in a
folder that is under my documents. No luck...anyone else got a solution?
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

"Mecalith" wrote:

It is better to put shortcuts in the desktop folder rather than the actual
document.
Try saving the doc in a different folder and seeing if it will open with a
double click.

"Leslie" wrote:

It will open if I open office and go to file/open/then select the doc but if
i double click it i get an error message....windows cannot find
'c:\users\Leslie\desktop\documentname.doc'. make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again.

i am using office 2007 and windows vista
--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP