Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Reinstalling earlier version of Office

The registry hack is to avoid the reconfiguration that will otherwise occur
when you switch between the two Word versions. The toolbars issue is
incidental.

It should not be necessary to uninstall Office 2007 first. They will install
into different program folders - but share some default user folders -
unless you change them first as in my previous message.

The same should apply to Windows 7 - though the dialogs may be different.

wrote in message
On 4/3/2010 1:15 AM, Graham Mayor wrote:
In addition to the link Doug has provided, I would urge you to change the
Word User templates folder and the Word start-up folder to new folders
and
copy the files from old locations to new, before attempting to install
2002.
When you have installed 2002 change its User templates and Start-up
folders
to new (different from 2007) locations also.

Thank you both for your help. Before I proceed (with trepidation) help me
clarify some issues:

a) Unless I misunderstood it, the link Doug provided is to hack the
registry to "Use Word 2000/3 Toolbars in Word 2007". Later it says "if you
run Word 2007 and an earlier version such as Word 2003 together" .... and
proceeds to the registry hack. I am not clear if the registry hack is to
"Use Word 2000/3 Toolbars in Word 2007" or to run Word 2002 and 2007
concurrently, or for both.

Could you please clarify for me?
(Also it says it is for Windows XP and I am in W7 but I assume it is the
same hack).

b) I assume - perhaps mistakenly - from your instructions that it is not
necessary to first uninstall Word 2007. Is that correct?

Again thank you for all the help you provide. It is wonderful that you do
this for persons you do not even know.

Jeff