Absolutely! Any amount of text can be selected and formatted as "Do not
check spelling or grammar" ("No proofing" in older versions of Word) in the
Tools | Language | Set Language dialog.

The easiest way to apply this is to create a character style, based on
Default Paragraph Font, that is just DPF + Do not check spelling or grammar.
Apply this character style to any text you don't want spell-checked.

"Nodak" wrote in message

Is it possible to have certain areas in a Word document to be skipped by
"Spell
Check"?

I have a word file that I send out to users, it users abbreviations that

are
not in there spell check dictionaries, and some are complaining. Is it
possible to mark some areas to be skipped by spell check but not other

areas?

If there are alternative work arounds I am open.

I appereciate the help