stevef

Default Controlling Styles in Master and Sub Doc

I have a 350 page doc that is broken into several subdocs. It was
created by uncounted numbers of people and has a real mess of a
collection of styles. I want to clean the doc and sub docs to have a
limited number of styles available and in use. To do this I have tried
deleting the styles from the Organizer and then saving the full
document. When I close and reopen the master and the subs the styles
appear as they did before I made any changes. Why? What am I doing
wrong?
I have tried to copy the standard styles from a new document (in
Organizer) and the new standard styles are also not retained when the
master and subs are saved and reopened.
HELP

Thanks
Steve