WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Using IF to find whether a Merge Field contains a substring

Hi Joshua,

Yes, you can use the IF statement to find whether a Merge Field contains a substring. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Insert the Merge Field into your document by going to the Mailings tab, clicking on Insert Merge Field, and selecting the field you want to use.
  2. In the IF statement, use the following syntax:
    PHP Code:
    IF {MERGEFIELD fieldname} = "" then "false" else "true"
  3. Replace "fieldname" with the name of your Merge Field.
  4. Replace "" with the substring you want to search for.
  5. If the substring is found in the Merge Field, the IF statement will return "true". If it is not found, the IF statement will return "false".

For example, if your Merge Field is called "Codes" and you want to search for the substring "ABC", your IF statement would look like this:

PHP Code:
IF {MERGEFIELD Codes} = "*ABC*" then "true" else "false"