TF

My guess would be that in Web Layout View the Insert, Page Number is greyed
out because there is no such animal as a page in HTML: so you cannot number
what doesn't exist.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
: No, you are still a bit confused.
:
: Word's Normal View does not show the footers--it just shows the main body
of
: text, without margins/footers/headers, etc.
:
: Word's Print Layout or Page Layout view shows the margins, effectively
: showing the page as it would normally look--however, you do not have to be
: in Print Layout view to insert a page number or view a header, as if you
are
: in Normal View it will switch you to Print Layout view.
:
: Web Layout view, I think, is totally irrelevant to this question, and
fairly
: useless unless you plan on saving as HTML. If you are just writing
regular
: documents, you can ignore it. Perhaps you have it confused with Normal
: View? They do look slightly similar.
:
: There is no problem in switching between Normal View and Print Layout
View,
: and many professional or long document writers type all their text in
Normal
: View and switch into Print Layout only when they are doing finishing
: formatting and are almost ready to print.
:
: I don't know why Insert | Page Number would have been ghosted out.
Possibly
: because at that exact moment the cursor was somewhere you could not insert
: it, say, in a footnote or comment.
:
: Hope that helps,
: DM
:
: On 2/23/05 10:39 AM, "Chad Harris" wrote:
:
: Correction page and footer only show in normal view. Sorry.
:
: Chad Harris
: _____________________
: "Chad Harris" wrote in message
: ...
: I know now that Page Number can only be inserted in Web Layout View,
that
: page number and footer only show in web view, and when you insert
footer
: Word automatically changes to Web Layout view.
:
: I don't understand from this, the exact purposes of Web Layout view vs.
: Normal, but do know I like making the document better in Web Layout
view
: and wonder if switching between them and making a change is going to
stick
: in each view or will get me jammed up.
:
: Now I've become more confused over Normal View and Web Layout View.
Any
: help straightening me out with the purposes of these and when to use
which
: and if changes stay when you switch back and forth and the reason for
Page
: Number insertions going to web layout view and page number and footers
: only showin in Web Layout view would be much appreciated.
:
: Also to clarify for me if footer creation automatically switches you to
: Web Layout view, and why if it does. I think you can do Footer
insertion
: with the setting to normal, but the second you opt to click it you are
: going to switch to Web Layout view. Would experiment more but won't
: finish my doc in time if I do.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Chad Harris
: "Chad Harris" wrote in message
: ...
: Word 03 on XP SP2 Box
:
: For reasons I cannot explain, I noticed I had forgotten to insert page
: number at the beginning of my document, and remembered I need to do it
: before printing and making my footer. I can't because it's the only
item
: on the Insert menu ghosted out. How can I unghost it? Do I have to
: close the document and then open it? Equally important, how did it get
: this way so I can avoid this in the future.
:
: Thanks very much,
:
: Chad Harris