Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default Master documents formatting sub documents

Hi ?B?S2VuIFJ1c3M=?=,

I have created a master document setup for my catalogue as this file is
extremely huge.
I am experiencing issues with pagination when I open the master document.
For example one of the sub documents keeps putting a random blank page in the
master document. It is not always the same page when I open the document.

The sub document does strange things like, when I am typing informatin into
the page it puts a page break when it feels like it. I am only talking about
three lines of text in some cases on the whole page.

Any thoughts on this. I have tried the single document thing but the size of
the file makes it very unweidly and printing takes absolutely forever.

If you're certain you haven't put anything into the file that could be causing
the strange behavior, try copying everything but the last paragraph mark into a
new file (created from the common template you should have set up for the Master
Document file set). Save it.

Now recreate the Master Document from scratch, pulling in this file instead of
the "bad" one.

Remember: you should never try editing the sub-documents from within the Master
document!

If the article Doug pointed you at has scared you off from Master docs :-), you
would have the option of using Insert/File, activating the LINK option. This is
quite like using a Master Document, just a bit more work.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)