Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Insert crossreference para number adds previous level

Which REF field code is used for the cross-references? Press Alt+F9 to
find out. If the field code includes a switch that references higher
levels of numbering (such as \r or \w), this would certainly explain
what you are seeing. You can fix this by changing to the proper switch
(\n), and then updating all fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jim Tortorelli" wrote in message
I have several types of notes that are separately numbered as

different
levels in an outline. The levels do not reset on higher level, nor

do the
numbers include any part of the higher level numbers. This

essentially gives
me three lists that start at one and increment throughout my report.

I also
cross reference these notes with REF fields to the paragraph number.

Every
thing worked fine. Today, for no known reason, the cross references

to the
notes numbered by the second and third level outline numbers started
including the higher level numbers in the cross references. The

notes
themselves are still numbered correctly, but the cross reference to

those
paragraph display the numbers for the other higher series as well.

Why would
it do that and how can I make it stop? Any ideas?

Example:

Should be (and used to be):

...expectations for a well-functioning WP&C process.

(2006-IA-11-O1)

but now it show this:

...expectations for a well-functioning WP&C process.
(2006-IA-11-S22006-IA-11-D32006-IA-11-O1)

Jim Tortorelli