Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Delete a table row when mergefield is blank??

Hi NaBellFL,

You could achieve what you're after by placing the various mergefields on the same line with all except the first one embedded in IF
tests coded like:

{IF{MERGEFIELD matsup_cofile} "" "¶
{MERGEFIELD matsup_cofile}"}

where the '¶' is a proper paragraph mark or line-feed. That way, only the mergefields that have something in them will generate a
new line. No need for a macro.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod

"NaBellFL" wrote in message ...
I create a form letter. The information of the letter is in a table.
Example:
{mergefield matter_name}
Co. File No. {mergefield matsup_cofile }
Etc.

This document is then merged. If there is no data in the cofile field of my
database I want to automoatically delete that table row from the merged
document.

I recorded a simple macro and created a toolbar button for it that the user
can use to delete the row after the merge but I wanted to find out if there
is a way to "nest" this macro in an If statement or something else???

I hope that clarifies what I am trying to do.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That cannot be done using mail merge. Tell us exactly what you are trying
to do.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"NaBellFL" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I have created a document which includes a table.
In
each row I have placed my { mergefield }. When I merge the document, if
there is no data for a field then I need the table row to be deleted. Can
use an {If, then, else} statement to accomplish this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.